1. I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married, we marry, like, one girl, ’cause we’re resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think, « I’d be an idiot if I didn’t marry this girl. She’s so great ». But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option… ‘Oh he’s got a good job.’ I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who’s got a good job and is gonna stick around.
2. In my experience, the prettier a girl is, the more nuts she is, which makes you insane.
3. I don’t know, I just feel like I should just stop thinking about it, you know, but I can’t. Maybe I’ve seen too many movies, you know, love at first sight. What do you think about love at first sight? You think you can love somebody just by looking at them? But the thing is man, I felt like I knew her, you ever get that feeling? Yeah, I probably don’t right… it felt like I did though.
She just seems different, you know? I don’t know, I just got a feeling about her. You know when a song comes on and you just gotta dance?
4. Dean : Baby, you made a promise to me, okay? You said, « for better or worse ». You said that. You said it. It was a promise.
Cindy : I’m sorry.
Dean : Now this is my worst, okay? This is my worst. But I’m gonna get better. You just gotta give me a chance to get better.
5. Look, I didn’t want to be somebody’s husband and I didn’t want to be somebody’s dad. That wasn’t my… goal in life. For some guys it is – wasn’t mine. But somehow, I’ve… it was what I wanted. I didn’t know that and it’s all I wanna do. I don’t want to do anything else. That’s all I want to do. I work so I can do that.
6. Tell me how I should be. Just tell me. I’ll do it.
7. We’re inside a robot’s vagina.
8. Dean : [Having dinner in the Future room] You’re not gonna eat that?
Cindy : Why don’t you do something?
Dean : What do you mean?
Cindy : I don’t know.
Dean : What does that mean, « why don’t I do something? »
Cindy : Isn’t there something you wanted to do? Isn’t there something you wanna do?
Dean : Like what?
Cindy : I don’t know. You’re good at so many things. You could do anything you wanted to do, you’re good at everything that you do. Isn’t there something else you wanna to do?
Dean : Than what? To be your husband, to being Frankie’s dad? What do you want me to do? What-what-what… in your, like, dream scenario of me, like, doing what I’m good at, what would that be?
Cindy : I don’t know. I just… you’re so good at so many things. You can do so many things. You have such capacity.
Dean : For what?
Cindy : I don’t… you can sing, you can draw, you can…
Cindy : dance.
Dean : [Exhales] Listen, I didn’t wanna be somebody’s husband, okay? And I didn’t wanna be somebody’s dad. That wasn’t my… goal in life. For some guys it is – wasn’t mine. But somehow I’ve… it was what I wanted. I didn’t know that. And it’s all I wanna do. I don’t want to do anything else. That’s what I want to do. I work so I can do that.
Cindy : I’d like to see you have a job where you don’t have to start drinking at 8 o’clock, in the morning, to go to it.
Dean : No, I have a job that I *can* drink at 8 o’clock in the morning. What a luxury… you know? I get up for work, I have a beer, I go to work, I paint somebody’s house – they’re excited about it. I come home, I get to be with you. What’s… Like, this is the dream.
Cindy : Doesn’t it ever disappoint you?
Dean : Why? Why would it disappoint me? I could still do whatever I could do.
Cindy : [Over Dean] Because you have all this potential.
Dean : So what? Why do you have to fucking make money off your potential?
Cindy : Look, I’m not even saying you have to make money off it. Do you miss it?
Dean : [Over Cindy] What does potential mean? What does even potential mean? What does that mean « potential »? Potential for what? To turn it into what?
Cindy : We rarely sit down and have an adult conversation because every time we do… you take what I say and turn it around into something that I didn’t mean. You just… twist it. Start blabbing. Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah.
Dean : If you’re not interested in what I have to say, then maybe I just shouldn’t say anything.
Cindy : [laughs]
9. Dean : What are you doing?
Cindy : What does it look like I’m doing?
Dean : Gettin’ all wet and naked.
10. I can’t really sing. I have to sing goofy, in order to sing. I have to sing stupid.
11. Dean : Can I talk to you for a second?
Cindy : Why?
Dean : You think I stole that money, don’t you? Yeah, you do.
Cindy : No.
Dean : Look, I’ve stolen money before, okay, I know what it’s like to get busted. That’s what it feels like. I didn’t steal it. I’ve got a job. Okay? This is my job.
Cindy : Okay, I got it.
Dean : I make money. Money I can take girl’s out to dates with. Just so you know.
12. Dean : [long silence before Dean speaks] You know, it’s not just us, we got a little girl we gotta think about.
[breaks into tears]
Cindy : I know… I… I can’t do this anymore.
Dean : You’re just thinking about yourself. What about Frankie? You want her to grow up in a broken home? Is that what you want?
Cindy : I am.
Dean : You’re not thinking about Frankie.
Cindy : I am thinking about my own kid.
Dean : No, you’re not. Is this how you want her to grow up?
Cindy : I don’t want her to grow up in a home where her parents treat each other like this.
[Dean cries and hits the wall four times]
Cindy : Don’t.
Dean : I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. Baby, I’m sorry.
Cindy : [Cindy sobs] I can’t do this anymore.
13. Cindy : …I found Megan.
Dean : How many times did I tell you to lock the fucking gate?
14. Babe, that’s how they laugh in the future!
15. Cindy : They’re old. Would you wanna live like that?
Dean : What, in that home? Well, no. But I’m not getting old. And he’s a dummy for dying.
16. Cindy… come here… I may… or may not… have fallen down…
17. Cindy : [flashback to their wedding day] What are you thinking about?
Dean : I wish they would hurry up so you can’t change your mind. Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go.